January. I have discovered over the last few years that January is sooo much about perspective. Especially here on the cold, barren Canadian prairies. The fact is, it’s a looong haul until spring even thinks about showing up. (Unless there’s a chinook. Fingers crossed for one this February!) The days are short, and dark, and cold. During the daylight hours the sky often decides to be the same sickly greyish white as the frozen snow (which has lost it’s charming appeal since Christmas has passed.) And I often feel bloated and cluttered and disorganized from the recent festivities and merriment. January can be downright yucky.
This new year had a yucky start… morning sickness (*cough*cough* all day sickness, that is!) coupled with a nasty stomach bug ripping through our little family has left me a bit unmotivated and my house pretty messy. Time for some inspiration. What inspires me at this time of year? (In no particular order):
- White. Bright, clean white.
- Yellow (I’m not a yellow person normally. But in January it’s my dose of sunshine!)
- Sparseness. Purge everything! Junk, decor, closets, stuff… clean it all out.
- Fresh flowers.
- New calendars and journals.
- Fresh air.
- Martha Stewart. Ha ha, I know this is dorky, but MS usually has a good dose of organization and cleaning and decor tips this time of year. (Another reason my new years’ had a yucky start… this January’s Living didn’t arrive. And neither did my House & Home. I’m beginning to suspect a post office worker is sniping my mags…)
- Cleaning. Real, get down and scrub cleaning. (If I have time and energy to do that is another issue.)
- Fresh, light foods… and healthy but hearty foods like soups and stews.
- Freshly laundered quilts.
- Getting outside (a walk is good, but I’d love to go for a skate!)
(Photo from www.marthastewart.com …as are many of the photos to come!)
How about you? What are you inspired by in the midst of winter blahs?
The posts ahead are a somewhat random assortment of images that inspire or refresh my brain. Hope a few do the same for you!